Common narcolepsy symptoms include:
- Cataplexy (loss of muscle control). Often, narcolepsy may cause you to have a sudden loss of muscle control while awake, usually triggered by strong emotions, such as laughing or crying.
- Hallucinations. Some people with narcolepsy experience vivid, sometimes frightening, visual or auditory sensations while falling asleep or upon awakening.
- Sleep paralysis. You may be unable to move or talk at the beginning or end of sleep.
- Microsleep is a very brief sleep episode during which you continue to function (talk, put things away, etc.), and then awaken with no memory of the activities.
- Nighttime wakefulness. If you suffer from narcolepsy, you may have periods of wakefulness at night with hot flashes, elevated heart rate, and sometimes intense alertness.
- Rapid entry into REM sleep. Narcoleptics have unique sleep cycles where he or she may enter the REM or dream phase of sleep right after falling asleep, whereas most people take about 90 minutes to enter REM. Therefore, you’ll experience the characteristics of REM sleep (vivid dreams and muscle paralysis) at the beginning of sleep, even if that sleep is during the day.
- Health Service Executive, Health Protection Surveillance Centre, Dublin, Ireland
- These authors contributed equally to this manuscript
- Department of Health, Dublin, Ireland
- Mater Private Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
- Children’s University Hospital Temple Street, Dublin, Ireland
- Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
- Health Service Executive, Health Intelligence Unit, Dublin, Ireland
- Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin, Ireland
NARCOLEPSY AND PANDEMRIX VACCINE IN THE NEWS:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/22/us-narcolepsy-vaccine-pandemrix-idUSBRE90L07H20130122 http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-indemnified-drug-firm-behind-swine-flu-vaccine-26726426.html http://www.thejournal.ie/narcolepsy-vaccine-eu-1309950-Feb2014/ http://www.thejournal.ie/pandemrix-narcolepsy-link-study-1447040-May2014/ http://yle.fi/uutiset/compensation_paid_out_for_vaccine-related_narcolepsy_sufferers/3165847