Former Dublin school teacher and rugby coach pleads guilty for security abuse of 23 victims
FREE CASE EVALUATION FORM
Former Dublin school teacher and rugby coach John McClean (aged 75) pleaded guilty at the Circuit Criminal Court to 27 charges of indecent assault to young schoolboys between the period of September 1973 to June 1990. McClean admitted to sexually abusing 23 males from the school in the 1970s and 1980s, reported by the RTE news.
John McClean from Casimir Avenue, Harold’s Cross, Dublin was a former rugby coach and school teacher who taught English and Drama in a prestigious South Dublin school named Terenure College.
In May 2019, McClean had been charged for over 43 allegations of assaulting schoolboys at Terenure College in the 1970s and 1980s, according to the Journal.ie.
In November 2020, he was arraigned on 27 counts to which he pleaded guilty in the mention hearing held. The charges related to 3 separate books of evidence.
McClean was actually due to appear in court for trial on Monday 2nd November 2020, but due to the Covid19 restrictions, his case was mentioned instead.
Judge Pauline Codd remanded McClean on continuing bail. All evidence will be heard over a two-day sentence hearing on the decided sentencing date of March 9th, 2021.
Working on the prosecuting side, Paul Murray Senior Counsel, said a number of the complainants were also present in court and heard McClean enter the guilty pleas to the charges, while others watched the proceedings via a Zoom call, according to the Irish Times.
The Irish Time also mentioned that according to Mr Murray, some of the 23 complainants may wish to read out their victim impact statements during the hearing and told Judge Codd that the statements will be prepared for the court before Christmas.
Working on the defending side, Sean Guerin Senior Counsel had asked Judge Codd for a later sentence date on the basis that he was due to start a lengthy trial for another case in the new year and does not believe it will be completed until the first week of March.
A date for mention was then set for January 18th next to allow for any relevant documentation and evidence to be submitted into court prior to the sentence hearing, as mentioned in the RTE news.
CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE COMPENSATION CLAIM FORM
84 Talbot Street, Dublin 1
1800 844 104