Coleman Legal LLP Logo

Latest News

Newsletters

Defective Blocks Redress Coleman legal LLP

Defective Blocks

Defective Blocks newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

Mother and Baby Home Coleman legal LLP

Mother & Baby Homes

Mother and Baby Homes redress newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

CAMHS Misdiagnosis Coleman legal LLP

CAMHS Review

CAMHS newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

Tusla chief apologises for statement issued after child sexual assault case in Ireland Tusla
Coleman Legal LLP
November 29, 2025
This article examines Tusla’s response to a recent child sexual assault case in Ireland Tusla, along with the wider issues raised at the Oireachtas committee regarding missing children and oversight within the care system.

Tusla’s chief executive, Kate Duggan, has issued an apology for the wording of a public statement released after the alleged sexual assault of a 10-year-old girl. The incident, which has contributed to broader discussions about a child sexual assault case in Ireland, was raised during her appearance before the Oireachtas Children’s Committee.

Ms Duggan said she understood the public’s concerns in light of recent serious incidents involving young people connected to State services. She emphasised that the majority of children in care were “thriving”, despite increased scrutiny following several high-profile cases.

Context and recent concerns raised about Tusla services

Tusla has faced criticism over multiple incidents in recent years, several of which have prompted renewed focus on oversight and reporting processes. These include cases of children going missing from care or school, delays in welfare checks, and concerns about follow-up procedures.

The alleged assault involving the 10-year-old girl has led to additional questions regarding communication and safeguarding measures in the context of a child sexual assault case in Ireland, Tusla.

Ms Duggan acknowledged that several children in care go missing each day for varying lengths of time. Some leave during school hours or while on supervised trips. The Minister for Children, Norma Foley, later clarified that children are formally recorded as missing if they are absent from their expected location for more than 15 minutes, with most returning shortly thereafter.

Previous incidents prompting reviews

Recent high-profile cases have heightened public concern. These include the disappearance of seven-year-old Daniel Aruebose, reports regarding the earlier disappearance of Kyran Durnin, and the death of Ukrainian teenager Vadym Davydenko at a TUSLA emergency accommodation facility.

These incidents prompted Tusla to conduct well-being checks on thousands of cases closed during the Covid-19 pandemic. This review sought to ensure that no child had been left unaccounted for, particularly in cases where families had previously engaged with the agency.

Apology for the wording of Tusla’s earlier statement

A statement issued after the alleged assault in west Dublin described the girl as having “absconded” during a recreational trip. Members of the Dáil said the phrasing created the appearance of shifting responsibility onto the child, particularly given the sensitivity of a child sexual assault case in Ireland, Tusla.

Appearing before the committee, Ms Duggan apologised for the impact of the statement and confirmed that the agency had reflected on both the wording and the timing of its release. She acknowledged that the choice of words had caused concern among the public and elected representatives.

Oversight, review, and collaboration with Gardaí

Ms Duggan stated that she could not discuss the specifics of the incident due to ongoing investigations by An Garda Síochána. She confirmed cooperation between Tusla and Gardaí in all active cases and noted that the National Review Panel reviews each serious incident.

Minister Foley also announced that new legislation would be introduced to place the National Review Panel on a statutory footing. This move aims to strengthen transparency and monitoring in cases involving serious harm or complex safeguarding circumstances, including situations that fall under the scope of a child sexual assault case in Ireland, Tusla.

Clarifying how missing children are recorded

The committee heard that children who present seeking international protection may also be recorded as missing if they leave care voluntarily. Many in this group arrive with the stated intention of travelling elsewhere, but are still recorded as missing under current procedures.

Children in mainstream care form a different cohort, and Minister Foley stated that all such children had been accounted for in the latest review. She acknowledged the importance of more precise definitions and consistent reporting practices to support public understanding, particularly in relation to concerns highlighted during a child sexual assault case in Ireland, Tusla.

Related Articles

Clodagh Magennis

Clodagh Magennis

Head of Client Services

F: 1800-844-104
E: [email protected] 

At Coleman Legal, excellence in customer care is paramount. We aim to meet both prospective and existing clients’ needs professionally and in a friendly manner with a clear objective of giving quality legal advice and reaching a positive outcome.

Discuss your case >