Coleman Legal LLP Logo

Latest News


Defective Blocks Redress Coleman legal LLP

Defective Blocks

Defective Blocks newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

Mother and Baby Home Coleman legal LLP

Mother & Baby Homes

Mother and Baby Homes redress newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

CAMHS Misdiagnosis Coleman legal LLP

CAMHS Review

CAMHS newsletter and latest updates.

Read More

Motorbike Accident Claim Solicitors

If you have been involved in a Motorbike accident, Coleman Legal can assist you in pursuing a claim for any injuries you may have suffered. You may be entitled to compensation if an accident was not your fault.

Table of Contents

    Have you been involved in a Motorbike Accident?

    We understand that motorbike accidents can result in serious injuries and long-term effects on the victims. If you have been injured in a motorbike accident, you may be entitled to a claim for your injuries, as well as any losses or expenses related to the accident, such as medical care and rehabilitation costs.

    It’s important to note that motorcyclists are among the most vulnerable road users, and motorbike accidents are unfortunately quite common in Ireland.

    According to the Road Safety Authority’s Motorcyclist Spotlight Report, there were 231 motorcyclist fatalities and serious injuries reported in Ireland from 2016 to 2021. This highlights the importance of seeking legal help if you’ve been involved in a motorbike accident.

    Data Source: Motorcyclist spotlight report fatalities and serious injuries

    At Coleman Legal LLP, our experienced injury solicitors will work with you to ensure that all costs and damages are included in your claim, and that you receive the compensation you deserve. We will ensure that all expenses related to the accident are taken into account, including loss of earnings, medical treatment costs, and any other expenses incurred as a result of the accident.

    If you have been injured in a motorbike accident, don’t hesitate to contact us for legal assistance. We understand the complexities involved in these cases and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.

    Am I entitled to a claim?

    If you have been involved in a road traffic accident as a driver, passenger, or pedestrian, and If the cause of the road traffic accident was not your fault, you may be eligible to seek legal remedy and claim any personal injuries and psychological injuries sustained, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

    The claim will also take into account the potential long-term negative effects that the accident can have on the victim’s quality of life and any additional expenses incurred as a result of the accident, such as fees for medical treatment and loss of earnings as a result of the accident.

    Common claim types

    Our team of experienced motorbike accident claim Solicitors at Coleman Legal continuously educates themselves on all aspects of personal injury claims.

    • Rear-end Collision Claims
    • Hit and Run Claims
    • Roundabout Accident Claims
    • Passenger Injury Claims
    • Uninsured Driver Claims
    • Side Impact Collision Claims
    • Minor Impact Road Traffic Accident Claims
    • Head-On Collision Claims
    • Fatal Road Accident Claims

    Common injuries

    Common causes

    Motorbike traffic accidents can occur for several different reasons, such as:

    • Bad road conditions
    • Hazardous weather
    • Fatigue
    • Blind spots
    • Unsafe vehicles
    • Unsafe driving practices – speeding, disobeying the rules of the road
    • Merging traffic
    • Texting while driving
    • Driving under the influence

    Hence, road traffic accident claims, such as car, bicycle, and motorcycle crashes, are among the most common cases submitted to the Personal Injuries Board by solicitors. Negligent behaviours and actions on the road by drivers can lead to many unfortunate road traffic accidents.

    Most of all claims submitted to the Personal Injuries Board were motorbike accident claims.

    What do you do in case of a motorbike accident?

    1. Seek medical attention

    First, ensure everyone receives immediate medical attention if necessary. Even if you have only suffered a minor injury, we recommend you present yourself at the nearest A&E or meet with your GP. Even if you feel okay immediately after the incident, a minor injury may become more serious.

    2. Collect any information relevant to the accident and any future claim

    Such information could include:

    • Details of everyone involved in the accident, particularly any drivers, including name, address, contact information, vehicle registration number and insurance information
    • Contact details of any emergency service workers who attend the incident
    • Photographs of the scene from different angles
    • Any CCTV footage of the accident
    • Dash cam footage
    • The date, time, and weather conditions at the time of the accident
    • Receipts of any expenses you have incurred due to the accident
    • Copies of Garda reports or any medical reports are very important for any future claim

    3. Contact the Gardaí

    It is essential that you report any accident to the Gardaí, no matter how minor. If it is minor and the Gardaí does not attend the scene, you must visit your local station and request they record the details of the incident and take a statement for you.

    4. Contact your insurance provider

    If you are driving a vehicle involved in a motorbike accident, you should notify your insurance company.

    5. Contact a solicitor

    It is advisable that you reach out to a solicitor as soon as possible after the accident if you are considering making a claim. A solicitor can guide you through the claims process and help you to avoid unnecessary delays.

    Motorbike accident claim process

    1. Contact our motorbike accident compensation solicitors

    Our motorbike accident claim solicitors advise clients on how to make these claims. Many people use a solicitor to aid with this application process as a lot of paperwork and filing are required, and our expert team is on hand to make the process as smooth as possible.

    2. The PIAB Application

    The next step is to make an application to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB). If your personal injury claim concerns anything other than medical negligence, some assaults, and some cases of entirely psychological injury, then your claim can be brought through PIAB. Examples of claims that PIAB covers include:

    3. Submitting information and documents to PIAB

    Your solicitor will obtain evidence, medical reports, and other expert reports required. And submits these documents to the Board for Assessment.

    4. Consent to assess the claim

    Once the application is made, PIAB issue a formal notification of claim to the defendant(s). The defendant(s) must indicate within 90 days whether or not they consent to the assessment of the claim. If the defendant consents, then PIAB will proceed to assess the claim. If they decline to have the case assessed, the PIAB will issue an Authorisation to allow the claimant to issue court proceedings.

    5. Claim assessment time

    If PIAB is assessing the claim, this will usually take about 9 months. They will then issue their Assessment of your claim, this amount reflects general and special damages awarded in respect of your claim. If the Assessment is accepted by both parties, the PIAB will issue an Order to Pay. The Order to Pay has the same status as an Order of the Court, and must be discharged by the defendant(s) within 10 days. A settlement cheque will then be issued to the claimant.

    If the assessment is rejected by either party, PIAB will grant an authorisation to bring court proceedings.

    What can be done to strengthen a possible claim?

    • Take photographs of any visible injuries
    • Take photographs of your vehicle/accident scene if possible
    • If you didn’t require medical attention at the accident scene, make sure you visit the doctor afterwards, as injuries may present themselves later.
    • Write down all details of the accident as soon as possible; even small details that may seem minor may assist your future case.

    Statute of Limitations

    You have two years from the accident date within which to issue proceedings. If you are under 18, a separate set of rules apply, and we would recommend you contact our solicitors to discuss these. To learn more about the statute of limitation for a nerve damage claim, click here.

    Our team

    Coleman Legal LLP Team

    If you have been involved in a motorbike accident or suffered an injury at another person’s hands, we advise all persons to contact our motorbike accident claim solicitors as soon as possible.

    If you want to take legal action over a personal injury, you should consult our injury solicitors, who are members of the Law Society’s injury accreditation scheme and clinical negligence accreditation scheme. Contacted us at:

    Coleman Legal LLP

    84 Talbot Street, Dublin 1
    D01 YX60
    DX 112002

    Contact Details

    Free Phone: 1800-844-104
    Fax: (01) 5312727
    Email: [email protected]
    Online Enquiry Form: Apply

    Request a Callback

    Clodagh Magennis

    Clodagh Magennis

    Head of Client Services

    P: 1800-844-104
    E: [email protected]

    ”At Coleman Legal, excellence in customer care is paramount. We aim to meet both prospective and existing client’s needs in a professional, engaging, and friendly manner with a clear objective to give quality legal advice and reach a positive outcome.”

    View Profile