Knee Injury Claim
Knee injuries can significantly impact your life, and if you’ve suffered such an injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. At Coleman Legal LLP, our experienced team is here to guide you through the legal process involving knee injury claim and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Source: Personal Injuries Guidelines
The compensation amounts for knee injuries in Ireland are established based on the gravity of the injury and its enduring repercussions. Below, we provide an expanded explanation of the potential compensation brackets:
1. Severe knee injury (€75,000-€110,000)
This category encompasses instances where significant knee damage has occurred, resulting in severe consequences:
- Cases in which the joint has been disrupted, leading to the development of osteoarthritis, extensive ligament damage, extensive and extended treatment, substantial pain, significant loss of function, and the necessity of undergoing or anticipating arthroplasty or arthrodesis.
- Situations where a leg fracture extends into the knee joint, causing constant and permanent pain that restricts movement, impairs agility, and makes the injured party susceptible to osteoarthritis, with the risk of needing arthrodesis or arthroplasty.
- Lesser but still severe knee injuries. This category includes cases that fall into higher compensation brackets but involve less severe disability. These injuries may result in ongoing symptoms such as pain or discomfort, restricted movement or instability, and deformity with the potential for degenerative changes and the requirement for corrective surgery in the long term. Such injuries may arise from damage to the kneecap, ligaments, meniscus, or muscular atrophy.
2. Moderate knee injuries (€15,000-€35,000)
This bracket is applicable to injuries involving knee dislocation, torn cartilage, or meniscus damage that results in minor instability, wasting, weakness, or other mild future disabilities. It also encompasses injuries that accelerate symptoms from a pre-existing condition over an extended period.
3. Minor knee injuries (€6,000-€12,000)
This category includes injuries similar to those in the previous bracket but of a lesser severity. It involves shorter periods of symptom exacerbation or acceleration and injuries such as lacerations, twisting, or bruising injuries. Compensation amounts are based on the recovery period:
- Substantial recovery or recovery to a nuisance level within one to two years.
- Substantial recovery without the need for surgery between six months and one year.
- Substantial recovery within six months.
It’s essential to note that these compensation figures are subject to potential adjustments and may be influenced by various factors, including the unique circumstances of your case. We recommend seeking legal advice to better understand your specific situation and the potential compensation you may be entitled to.
Statute of Limitations
You have two years from the date of the accident within which to issue proceedings. If you are under 18, a separate set of rules apply, and we would recommend you contact our solicitors to discuss these. To learn more about the statute of limitation for a leg injury claim, click here.
At Coleman Legal LLP, we understand our client’s circumstances. We understand that because you are reading this part of our website, you have likely been involved in an accident and perhaps have been injured. It’s at times like this that you need the support of an experienced firm that can assist you with the practical issues that now confront you as a result of the fault of another.
For example, you may need to understand your Social Welfare entitlements should you be out of work. Also, it’s important for you to know that your legal advisers will obtain all of the important Reports that may be required to ensure that you get the best outcome in your case. We provide a national service and can meet you locally to ensure that you have a voice and access to the best advice and resources that may be needed in your particular case.
Our service is about you, the client and we speak plain English with no unnecessary legal jargon. Our teams have dealt with thousands of claims over many years and pride ourselves in our respectful and concerned approach to all of our clients.
Coleman Legal LLP
84 Talbot Street, Dublin 1
Request a Callback
Tell us about your case
Head of Client Services