What is Cosmetic Surgery Error?
The market for cosmetic surgery has increased significantly in Ireland over the last few years; what was once an area of medical negligence reserved for celebrities or wealthy persons, it has recently become more accessible, affordable and as a result more prevalent in Irish society.
With this growth of the market in Ireland we have also seen a rise in the number of medical practitioners claiming to be specialist cosmetic surgeons – quite often though, this is not the case. There has been a plethora of new clinics in Ireland offering cosmetic surgery with most people locating these providers online where low prices are used to entice potential customers.
Lack of Regulation of Cosmetic Surgery in Ireland
The lack of adequate regulation of the industry in Ireland has not helped matters in this regard. In response to the ongoing concerns expressed in relation to the safety and quality of cosmetic surgery procedures in Ireland, the Irish Medical Organisation, in 2010, issued a guidance paper entitled ‘Recommendations for patients considering surgical cosmetic procedures’.
This document is a good place to start for anyone considering cosmetic surgery in Ireland and we would advise anyone considering same to read it by clicking on the hyperlinked text.
As well as reading that, the Irish Medical Council would also recommend that prospective patients consult a registered plastic surgeon. To do this, you can verify a doctor’s qualifications and check if a doctor is on the specialist division of the medical register by using the Medical Council’s ‘Search for a Registered Doctor’ facility where you can search by name as well as registration number.
Common Medical Negligence claims involving cosmetic surgery include, but are not limited to
- Injury or poor outcome from laser eye surgery
- Injury or poor outcome from permanent or semi-permanent make up.
- Breast augmentation or breast reconstructive surgery resulting in scarring, injury or poor outcome
- Liposuction procedures resulting in scarring or injury
- Injury or poor outcome from rhinoplasty or any procedures on the face
- Injury or poor outcome from abdominoplasty or tummy tuck
- Face Lift procedures resulting in scarring or injury.
- *Dental Negligence (please see our dedicated page on this topic)
It should be remembered that even relatively ‘small’ procedures, which may not be conducted by invasive techniques can nevertheless cause pain, discomfort and/or serious health problems if they are not carried out correctly. ‘Fast’ cosmetic treatments available such as botox injections, dermal fillers and laser treatment are sometimes carried out by establishments selling these procedures for what are relatively low rated but the reality is that they that are not monitored, regulated or controlled and huge caution should be exercised.
A good cosmetic surgeon will
- Be suitably qualified as a cosmetic surgeon.
- Inform you of the benefits of cosmetic enhancements.
- Discuss the risks with you in detail.
- Outline the alternatives available to you.
- Give you a cooling off period whilst you think about the best course of action for you.
- Perform the procedure in question with proper skill and due care
Caveat Emptor – ‘Buyer Beware’
- Even the most straightforward procedure can cause very serious problems if negligently performed resulting in numerous and very serious types of injuries including severe pain and discomfort, permanent disfigurement and, in very extreme cases, death. If you have had a substandard cosmetic procedure or have had avoidable post-operative complications you may be entitled to pursue a medical negligence compensation claim.
- Your doctor must inform you of the risks involved. Only a fully informed patient can make an informed decision as to whether or not you wish to go ahead with a procedure. If you were not fully advised of the risks prior to your procedure you may be entitled to claim compensation and you should contact our team without delay.
- One of the first steps in processing your claim will be to engage an independent medical expert to review your medical records and/or examine you for the purposes of furnishing an expert medical opinion. The expert opinion is used to support your claim and will need to show that the injury, loss and damage suffered by you could have been avoided if a more appropriate course of action had been taken. As with all personal injury claims, there are strict time limits to be adhered to and we would again advise anyone with any questions or doubts to contact us for a free, confidential and consultation over the phone.
How We Can Help ?
Pursuing a medical negligence claim in Ireland can be daunting, especially if you are still recovering. Our experienced team of medical negligence solicitors in Dublin and nationwide can advise you of all legal remedies available to you at this stressful time. By easing as much of the stress associated with medical negligence claims as possible, our aim is to help you through the trauma of your experience with empathy and understanding.
If you have sustained an injury or contracted an illness due to a situation involving medical negligence and have questions surrounding an incident, please contact our Medical Negligence Solicitors today at Coleman Legal.
Coleman Legal can help you find out if you are eligible for compensation. If you are eligible for compensation, we will fight for you while you recover, ensuring your best interests are met and that you receive the best settlement or Court Award that is fair to you in the entirety of the circumstances.
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.
About Coleman Legal
Our highly experienced team of medical negligence solicitors have assisted many clients in recovering maximum damages and we believe in putting the needs of our clients first.
We are committed to obtaining the best possible outcome for you and take pleasure in our sensitive approach.
Our friendly and experienced medical negligence team is waiting to take your call. Lines are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.